Skip to main content
A Magazine for Sheffield

£500 support payment made available for low income Sheffield residents told to self-isolate

The government have made a £500 support payment available to those on a low-income who will lose income while self-isolating.

Sheffield Winter Garden1
Photo by Wedesoft (Wikimedia Commons).

Sheffield residents on a low income who stand to lose income because they have been told to self-isolate may be eligible for a £500 support payment.

The money has been made available by the government and is being administered by Sheffield City Council. Anyone who thinks they may be eligible can apply online for the payment.

To qualify you must live in Sheffield, have received notification from Test and Trace to self-isolate, and have started self-isolation on or after 28 September.

You also need to be:

  • employed or self-employed and unable to work from home, and will lose income as a result.
  • in receipt of either Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit , Income-based Employment and Support Allowance, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit or Pension Credit.

The Council have said people who don't receive one of these benefits but are on a low income and experiencing financial hardship while self-isolating should still apply, as they may be eligible for a discretionary award.

“This payment is designed to support people on low incomes, if they will lose income as a result of self-isolating, and to encourage them to get tested if they have symptoms," said the Council's Deputy Leader Terry Fox.

"For a resident to receive a Test and Trace support payment they must self-isolate as requested by NHS Test and Trace and it’s essential that they follow the rules on this to help stop the transmission of COVID-19 in the city and avoid further restrictions."

Sheffield Council have also set up a Community Helpline for people who have been told to self-isolate and have nobody else to support them. This includes help with shopping, medication collection, social contact or urgent support. Help can be requested online or via 0114 273 4567.

by Sam Gregory (he/him)
Filed under: 

More News & Views

More News & Views